The following are the must have and good to have features in a portable swing:
- 5-point Safety Harness: To keep the baby secured in the swing seat.
- Compact Fold: Occupies lesser storage space owing to the compact design.
- Motion, Speed, Sound and Light Control Unit: Most baby swings offer a control panel which allows different motion, speed, sound and light settings in accordance to your baby’s preference.
- Portability: Easy to fold and store or carry away.
- Sturdy Frame: To ensure even weight distribution of the growing child and allow for some safe movement within the harness.
- Removable and Washable Seat Cover: To maintain hygiene, just in case baby throws up or spills foods and liquids.
- DC Battery Slot: Some swings come with an inbuilt DC battery slot. Most of the battery-operated swings offer portability.
- Reclining Seat: The seat can recline in 2 or 3 positions, depending on whether the baby has just had his feed and wishes to sit up or wishes to sleep.
- Removable Head Support: For infants whose head and neck are not yet stable.
Good to Haves
- Canopy: Provides shade if the baby wants to take a nap.
- Non-toxic Fabric: Given the baby’s inclination to chew at its seat covers, a non-toxic fabric is good to have.
- Mobile Toys With Light: Felt or cloth toys for the baby’s entertainment and stimulation.
- Detachable Seat: To carry the baby with you and keep it by your side.
Pros and Cons of a Portable Swing
|Flexible and portable: It can be easily moved from room to room and folded up to save space, avoid clutter and cart along while travelling.
||Weight limit: It cannot be used for babies over 12 kg.
|Entertaining cum soothing: With sounds, music, vibrations and a toy bar with detachable toys for visual stimulation, these swings can significantly raise a baby’s joy quotient and contribute to baby’s emotional well-being.
||If the baby is left for long hours in the portable swing for its sheer convenience, later, the baby may resent the lack of human touch. Hence, one would recommend judicious use of the swing.